Although choosing a new garage door opener isnt as glamorous or exciting as choosing a new garage door, its extremely important to choose the right size garage door opener.
Understanding what size and type of garage door opener is right for you will ensure that your garage door operates safely, securely, and efficiently.
How Do I Know What Size Garage Door Opener I Need to Buy?
There are several factors to take into consideration when purchasing a garage door opener, including the number of garage doors the opener needs to lift (do you have a single garage door or double garage doors?) and the size and weight of your garage door(s). If you have a large, heavy garage door or double garage doors, you will need a garage door opener with more horsepower.
Of course the best way to determine what size garage door opener you need is to call and schedule professional garage door opener installation. This will ensure that your garage door opener is sized and installed correctly, and prevent the need for premature garage door opener repair or replacement.
Commercial Garage Door Openers vs. Residential Garage Door Openers
In addition to determining what size garage door opener is best suited for the size and weight of your garage doors, you also need to consider how frequently you plan to use your garage door. The more you operate your garage door, the more strain you put on the garage door opener. Depending on the size of your family or the size of your business, you can choose between the following types of commercial or residential garage door openers:
- Light duty garage door openers A light duty garage door opener is the least expensive and is intended for residential use or when you only plan to
use your garage door five times or less per day.
- Standard duty garage door openers A standard duty garage door opener is suitable for both residential and commercial properties. If you plan to use your garage door about eight times or less per day, a standard duty garage door opener
is ideal for you.
- Heavy duty garage door openers These garage door openers are usually required for commercial properties. If you plan to use your garage door more than 10 times per day or more, youll likely need a heavy duty garage door opener.
Other Factors to Consider When Selecting a Garage Door Opener
When shopping for a garage door opener, you will also have to determine what garage door opener brand is right for you:
- Overhead Door garage door openers
- Linear garage door openers
- Genie garage door openers
- LifeMaster garage door openers
Finally, there are plenty of special garage door opener features you can consider when purchasing a new garage door opener. Some things to consider include:
- Keyless entry
- Quiet operation
- Emergency release
- Belt drive vs. chain drive
- And more!
If you need help deciding which garage door opener is right for your garage door, contact The Hamilton Parker Company today for garage door opener installation in Columbus, Ohio.